Data Scientist & Credit Scoring Specialist
Hello, we’re an international team with expertise in microfinance, data science, behavioral economics, and human-centered design. We started Rubyx in 2019 to revolutionize the way informal entrepreneurs and small businesses fund their activities.
We’ve built a cloud-native, API-driven digital lending platform that enables service providers to rapidly launch innovative loan products that meet the needs and expectations of borrowers. Rubyx lowers the cost of entry to AI capabilities and makes credit scoring algorithms easy to understand so that the power of data benefits all.
Pioneering new lending ecosystem models, we support different types of partnerships:
- We enable non-lenders such as digital platforms to easily embed lending features into their services to deliver more value to their customers.
- We work with banks and microfinance institutions to help them accelerate their digital transformation and reach new markets.
Currently, we operate in the following countries: Cambodia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Tunisia, Jordan, Georgia, India, and Madagascar.
We’re passionate about the many opportunities to rethink microfinance together, but we’re not just painting pretty pictures; we draw our inspiration from many years of experience in microfinance and spending days and days in the field to observe the ways informal entrepreneurs and small businesses work.
Working with us
We each work with a high degree of autonomy and take responsibility for our tasks. Using tools like Slack and Trello, we stay focused on the most important activities. Joining us brings the benefit of being able to shape and build your practice in a start-up environment.
We work remotely and get things done. Our team is spread out from Canada to China, sometimes you’ll have to put an effort to schedule meetings that work for everyone. Mostly, for you, this means flexible working hours.
We believe work should be fairly rewarded. We offer competitive compensation based on your experience and expertise.
One of the core activities of Rubyx is the development of credit-scoring algorithms for risk management. We are looking for a data scientist, a specialist in credit scoring to help us to expand our existing algorithms and push further the quality of services offered by Rubyx.
- Collaborates with the Data team (data engineering, analytics, science) to develop the algorithmic solution of Rubyx
- Work with product teams, users, and other stakeholders to identify opportunities for data-driven solutions.
- Translate clients' business needs into technical requirements and perform the data processing and modeling necessary to meet those needs
- Participate in designing the architecture of solutions based on GCP infrastructure
- Design and implement statistical and AI models for risk modeling and credit-related activities
- Define experimental settings to test hypotheses and refine modeling
- Contribute to R&D and internal asset development projects
- Co-design models based on client needs and communicate the results of the resulting algorithms
- Document solutions, configuration, and program modifications according to internal standards.
- 5+ years of experience in a data science (or similar) role
- Understanding of the Banking industry and business processes within Risk in emerging markets.
- Strong experience with credit scoring in various environments (bank, MFI, digital platform...) and context (application scoring, renewal scoring, collection scoring…).
- Expertise with database, data warehouse, and data pipeline technologies
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (GCP preferred) and SaaS environments.
- Experience with data quality best practices
- Experience in languages commonly used for data analysis such as SQL, Python, and R.
- Excellent technical competence and experience performing analysis across a breadth of techniques (e.g. exploratory analytics / causal inference/experimentation / ML techniques)
- Strong statistical knowledge and intuition, including experience designing, monitoring, and analyzing A/B tests
- Ability to start with a messy unstructured problem, identify specific research questions from it, and propose data and model-driven solutions that would create value for end-users and other stakeholders.
- Extensive experience working with large-scale datasets and using data engineering best practices (e.g. CI/CD, testing, git)
- Dedication to high-quality, maintainable code.
- Good verbal and written communication skills along with the ability to present technical data and approaches to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Fluent in English, and French is a plus.
- Open-minded and able to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Cultivate the start-up spirit and look for innovation and excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a distributed working environment.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in fast-changing environments.